Our Governing Body
Mrs Jo Alikhan - Executive Headteacher
Mr David Neilson - Chair of Governors
Mrs Karen Carabine - MKC Appointed
Mrs Gemma Clarke - Parent Appointed Governor
Mr Robert Hearn - Parent Appointed Governor
Mr Robin Tabberer - Parent Appointed Governor
Miss Samantha Mungham - Staff Appointed Governor
Mrs G Connors - Staff Appointed Governor
What do the Governors do?
School Governors make collective decisions as part of the Governing Body whose primary function is to help raise the educational standards and performance of a school by supporting the work of the Headteacher and staff.
How is the Governing Body made up?
There are a number of Governor Types - Parent governors who are elected by the parents, Local Authority governors who are appointed by Milton Keynes Council, Partnership governors elected by the Governing Body and Staff governors who are elected by the staff. You can also have Co-opted and Associate Governors
Brooksward school has 2 Committees:
- Finance, Premises and Personnel Committee
- Teaching and Learning Committee
What are the responsibilities of each Committee?
All committees contribute to the school's Strategic Development Plan and monitor progress on the implementation of this regularly. They also contribute to the preparation of the School Profile and help the school to review its performance so that the Self Evaluation Form, as required by OFSTED is kept up to date. They also consider and recommend for adoption any new or revised policies pertaining to the particular Committee. The Headteacher is a member of all committees. Committee meetings take place in the evenings and each committee usually meets once per term. Other key responsibilities are listed below.
Finance, Premises and Personnel Committee
- Monitor and review school's financial position and approve the annual budget
- Make recommendations re: level of financial delegation to Headteacher.
- Ensure School operates within Council's Financial Regulations.
- Review Charging Policy and Lettings Policy.
- Inspect buildings and grounds and monitor maintenance and repair.
- Assist Governing Body and Headteacher to discharge responsibilities under the Health and Safety Work Act 1974.
- Monitor Health and Safety Arrangements.
- Ensure that the school works within the adopted Personnel Policies
- Review the staffing structure of the school.
- Establish procedures for the selection and recruitment of staff
- Adopt and review Performance Management procedures and salaries
Teaching and Learning Committee
- Adopt and review Attitudes and Behaviour Policy
- Ensure Governors responsibilities re: safeguarding children are fulfilled.
- Approve school visits, adopt and review School Visits Policy.
- Promote and support healthy school environment.
- Monitor policy of Racial Equality and ensure statutory responsibilities are fulfilled.
- Review and revise School prospectus, Home School Diary and Home School agreements.
- Advise the Governing Body on the school's curriculum statement and their statutory obligations regarding the National Curriculum.
- Approve and review Policies
- Monitor and review school improvement using statistical information available
The following link is a summary of the Governing Body Pecuniary Interests Sept 2016 - July 2017
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to come and join our governing body, to add value and make a difference for the benefit of our children.
Backgrounds and/or experience in safeguarding, Health & Safety, and education would be an asset, but not essential as full training will be given.
If you are interested in becoming a school governor at Brooksward School, please contact the school office on 01908 605605, or you can mail the school at email@example.com
Mr David Neilson, Chair of Governors
Ms. Jo Alikhan Executive Headteacher.